Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Back to school

and the house seems so quiet! For some reason this year the summer break was 7 weeks instead of 6, and seemed to go on forever. Don't get me wrong, I like having my kids around but I also like not having to race around every morning like a blue arsed fly trying to get them organised. My kids are very laid back about getting ready in the mornings and I have to keep on at them continually or they would go to school in their PJs.

My next door neighbour got married on Saturday. I stitched them a wedding sampler (Bent Creek's 'I Do')and she came round this morning to thank me. She was thrilled with it. I don't do many wedding samplers these days, I used to do a lot but two of the recipients later split with their husbands and binned my efforts, which I was really upset about (one of them was my sister!!) I can understand not wanting it on the wall as a reminder but after all the effort that went into creating it I wouldn't have expected them to throw it away! Some people really have no concept of how much work goes into these pieces, I guess in this 'disposable' age people don't value hand crafted items the way they should. For the same reason I rarely stitch cards any more either. I remember I stitched a card once for my sister (again) when she moved into a new house. The card was actually quite a big one and it was lovely, if I do say so myself. When I mentioned it a few months later she told me she had thrown it away with the others, as it was 'only a card'!
She's getting married again in a couple of weeks - needless to say I won't be stitching her anything!!

3 comments:

Mindy said...

Ugh. I've also learned the hard way who gets my stitching and who doesn't. Luckily, my family and close friends really appreciate my work. I've stitched a few items in the past for people who I no longer see and I'm pretty sure my work was trashed. Oh well -- at least I didn't stitch them anything really huge.

Faith Ann said...

They threw them away ?! I can't believe it! I'd be heartbroken. I try to judge who will appreciate a stitched gift based on the comments they make about my stitching...but it doesn't always work.

It's funny how sometimes someone who receives a smaller stitched gift can appreciate it so much more than someone who receives a gift that so many more hours of work was put into.

Lorna said...

I'm also very careful about who I stitch for, I rarely stitch cards except for special people who I know will value it. DHs eldest daughter keeps her xmas card every year and turns it into a tree ornament. I stitched TWs wedding sampler for DHs eldest son and his wife, she cried when she first saw it but it now hangs in their spare room. :-S
BTW my kids would go to school in their PJs too.