Wednesday, November 10, 2004

The tale of the little girl who cried wolf

I've had both kids off school sick today. Now, I know DS is genuinely unwell. He had bad..ahem..tummy trouble just before we were due to set off for school this morning, and that's pretty hard for a six year old to fake. DD on the other hand....she took herself off to school, and half an hour later I had a phone call asking me to collect her because she was feeling unwell. Well, I was sceptical to say the least, partly because she was fine only half an hour before, but mostly because she has a long history of crying wolf. I can't count the times I've been summoned to collect her, arrived to find her hanging over the chuck-bucket or lying on a beanbag with a cold flannel on her forehead, and then half an hour after getting home she stages a miraculous recovery. This time I decided enough was enough. I put her to bed and made her stay there with no TV, no Gameboy, only a few books if she wanted to read quietly. Even when (surprise surprise) she announced she was feeling better I insisted she stay there. She has had such an excruciatingly boring day I'm hoping she'll think twice about crying wolf again. Part of the problem is she's such a good little actress, it's hard to tell if she's really unwell or swinging the lead. I'd hate to leave her at school if she genuinely was feeling poorly.

2 comments:

Lorna said...

Oooooh yes! I've got a couple of clever little actresses myself. And teachers are such soft touches as well! DDs lap up their concern, I come along and say 'Oh no, shes fine, come on, get up, theres nothing wrong with you!' And the teacher stands there looking pathetic and worried. LOL Mind you, there is the odd time when it turns out to be true, and then you have to suffer the guilt. As you say, Cry Wolf!

Amy said...

I know exactly what you mean! My oldest DD does the same thing. I handle the situation the same way you did - no getting out of bed, no tv, no games. She always feels good enough to go to school the next day!