Thursday, January 27, 2005

The Tale of My Stalker

I ran into my Stalker this morning. I don't think I've ever told you about her, have I? She's not a stalker in the true sense but that's become the family's jokey name for her. I haven't seen her for a while so I hope running into her doesn't trigger her off again!

It started a couple of years ago. For the purposes of this tale I shall refer to her as L. I knew L from the school - her eldest daughter was in my daughter's class. One day I had an appointment and she offered to pick DD up from school for me. Very nice of her I thought, so the next morning after we dropped the kids off at school I invited her round for coffee. Big mistake. She came round with her two youngest children, who turned out to be Demons from the Pit...they drew on my walls, poured shampoo down the bathroom sink, cut up an insurance policy on DH's desk, tore pages from books....and all the while L sat there and did nothing. And sat there...and sat there...lunchtime came around so I made them all lunch, and then she sat there...and sat there...Finally, it was time to pick the girls up from school. Hurray, I though, now they'll go home. No. She followed me back. And sat there....eventually I thought "there's no way I'm cooking dinner for them all" so after some subtle and then some not-so-subtle hints they finally went home. I'd only invited her round for coffee at 9am and it was gone 6pm when she went!! Then, she started coming round every day, and staying all day. Trying to ask her not to fell on deaf ears, and asking her to control her children just led to denials that they'd done anything ("how do you know one of your kids didn't cut up that policy?"). The trouble is I hate being rude to people even when they deserve it, I'm such a pushover.

Eventually DH had had enough of her kids trashing our home and he said he forbade them to come again. It was cowardly I know but I started being 'out' when she called round - I just wouldn't answer the door. But then...she started appearing wherever I went. Every time I went to the shops she was there. If I went to the Library - there she was. If I went to Banbury (10 miles away) - there she was. If I went to the doctor's - you guessed it. I couldn't set foot outside my house without running into her. It was really creepy, I don't want to seem overdramatic but she was definitely following me around, it was just too much to be coincidental. This went on for about 6 months and it was really starting to freak me out. What was she doing, lurking round the corner watching my house? And then it sort of tailed off. She's had another baby since so I guess she's been busy but I have heard since from others that she has a reputation for latching onto people. I feel kind of sorry for her really. Not sorry enough to ask her round for coffee though ;o) LOL

5 comments:

Valerie (grvlgal) said...

Ok, that's REALLY creepy! Hopefully seeing you again doesn't inspire her to want to re-attach herself to you. Eek!

Laural said...

Wow, creepy. Well for you I definately hope that it doesn't trigger her to latch onto you again.

Faith Ann said...

That is soooo bizarre. I'm glad I've never been in that situation, I don't know what I'd do. I hope it doesn't happen to you again.

Mindy said...

Dang! I agree with everybody else -- totally creepy! Some nerve as well, allowing her children to treat you and your home in such a manner. I'm glad you are generally free of her. It's sad when people get like that, but you have to look out for you and your family, as you have :)

Sam said...

Ooooh... spooky & creepy indeed! I hope she doesn't take up cross stitch in order to spend time with you just so you can teach her how to do it!