Sunday, January 02, 2005

Ugh... I am not well today. I feel like I have a chest infection, and just my luck it happens on Bank Holiday weekend so the doctors won't be open until Tuesday! I feel really lethargic with it, I should be stitching on my draggie for the SAL but I don't feel like doing anything at all - not even reading!! The kids are pestering to go to the cinema to see the Impossibles (oops, I mean the Incredibles! ;op) - we promised them we'd take them during the hols, but with them both having been unwell over the last few days we're running out of time. They're back at school on Tuesday. DH could take them on his own, but I did want to see it too. I'll just have to dope myself up and suck it up I suppose.

I'll console myself with a visit to HobbyCraft which is just round the corner from the cinema - although it's not spectacularly good and I begrudge paying UK prices for anything these days. Since I discovered US ONS's I've realised just how ripped off we are over here. Even ordinary DMC works out as the equivalent of over $1 a skein! :o( It's difficult to understand why since DMC are based in France - far closer to us than to the US. We never get floss sales here either, and DMC have actively tried to stop buyers from Europe from ordering floss from America!! Everything here is at least double the price and often more.

6 comments:

Amy said...

Get better soon Gill! Enjoy the movie. I haven't been able to take my kiddos yet, but I hear it's really good!

Faith Ann said...

I hope you get better soon!

I would be so annoyed if I had to pay that much for DMC all the time...that would certainly add to the cost of a project, even without specialty fibers!

Yany said...

I hope you feel OK soon!!
Hugs from México

Lorna said...

Get well soon Gill! All of my kids have had the sickness bug now. I'm hoping it has passed me by and not waiting to get me when they have gone back to school. I agree with us being ripped off by DMC, its not fair. Hobbycraft is the cheapest LNS for me too.

KarenV said...

Hope you're feeling better, Gill!

I hear you on the UK prices - I had to order some stuff for a RR and I got it from Sew and So because it was quicker, but just one skein of that fancy new Needle Necessities braid cost me...wait for it...£6.50!!!! For one skein of thread!!! That's at least double the US price, if not more. Ugh!!!

Gill said...

£6.50??!! I bet you nearly choked!