Friday, February 24, 2006

Awww, poor kitty!

I had to take my poor kitty Claude to the vet this morning. In the last week or so his breath has been really offensive, when he yawns he can clear the room and when he washes himself it smells really rank. I had to struggle to have a look at his teeth because he does
not like his mouth being handled, but from the glimpse I caught they were not a pretty sight. This was a major concern because he's got a flight to catch in less than three weeks, so anything that needed doing needs to be done ASAP. Anyway, to cut a long story short, he has to go in on Wednesday to have his teeth descaled and there's a strong probability he'll need several extractions depending on what his teeth are like under the tartar. Poor kitty! And poor me too, because I'm saddled with giving him antibiotics for the next few days - anyone who's ever had to administer pills to a cat will sympathise I'm sure! The good news though is that he's fighting fit apart from his teeth, not bad at all for an old fella!

7 comments:

Faith Ann said...

Ugh... poor, poor you. You'll definitely deserve all that new stash after giving your kitty pills! We are not very adept at that task and I'm not sure who looks more frazzled/stressed after the event... us or the cat! It's not a pretty sight, regardless LOL.

Heather said...

One hint from my vet: "kneel on the cat" (with him between your knees), hold his head up, pry open his mouth, drop the pill directly down then immediately hold his jaw closed, and don't let go until he licks his nose. Apparently they can't lick their nose without swallowing, and it's almost an involuntary thing for them like blinking! I was very surprised, but it worked most of the time (except when he'd manage to get the pill stuck between his back teeth). It certainly helped! Good luck!
Heather

artystitches said...

Bless him!!

Kathy said...

Awwwww poor kitty hope he gets better soon.

Wow FG is looking fantastic, looking foward to seeing her finished.

Hugs xxxxxx

Carol said...

Poor little fellow... :(

Sam said...

Poor Claude! I hope you can manage with the pills - it really is no mean feat. My friend said her vet told her to put the pill in the cats mouth & then drop them from a short height - they're so busy concentrating on landing upright they have no choice but to swallow. I've never tried it though!!

Heather said...

Ah poor Claude. One thing I'm not afraid of, or have trouble with is the pill popping for cats. When I was younger and our very first cat needed his first dose of antibiotics, the vet showed us what to do and I never had trouble at all. The vet told me to take the cats mouth with your thumb and forefinger and your hand being over the top of the head, pull head back. Get pill in other hand and now the mouth is open slightly, pull open the jaw and pop pill right to the back of the mouth at the throat and then let the cat go.