Wednesday, May 31, 2006

I've spent the last couple of days on my first attempt at a patchwork quilt! I bought a really useful book called, of all things, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Quilting....not that I consider myself an idiot (not most of the time anyway lol) but the book starts from the absolute basics and doesn't assume you know what to do already like a lot of others I've looked at. I'm really enjoying it, although cutting out the fabric shapes is a bit tedious. Pete's starting to complain about me taking over the whole house though, because I've got stuff laid out everywhere. He's even offered to buy a table to go in the rumpus room so I can use it as a craft room. The new sewing machine is fab, and some of the accessories like the piecing foot make it a breeze! :D I've even had my first go at applique which, while far from perfect, isn't bad for a first attempt! It's going to be a while before I have anything worth showing though, so don't hold your breath for pics. I think I've found another expensive hobby! Lol

I'm having such a ball with it, I've asked for this kit for my birthday...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

which isn't until June 29th, so by that time I hope to have done most if not all of my 'practice' quilt. The kit is called Rose Garden and it looks a relatively simple design and not too big so I think it will be a good next step.

CGF hasn't been totally neglected though...I've been stitching in the evening while I watch (or rather, listen to)TV, so she's moving on. I'll update with a pic in a day or two.

2 comments:

Faith Ann said...

I'm so impressed that you're quilting!! I *love* quilts and actually picked up the Quilting for Dummies book a couple of years ago. Actually, right before DS came along and since then I haven't had the opportunity to try it.

I love the kit you picked out...hopefully it comes in time for your birthday!

Nicki said...

Love that quilt! Such nice colours :) I've just got the patchwork bug too with a wonderful block of the month kit that comes with everything ready cut - easy peasy! ;)