Monday, June 18, 2007

I guess I should post an update since I couldn't be arsed to post have been missing in action for a few days. Truth is, there hasn't been a whole heap of stitching going on and 'can't be arsed bothered' kind of sums up my mood at the moment. I picked up The Night for a while, but wasn't inspired to work on it. I've realised that, much as I love how the design looks, I don't really enjoy stitching it. I think it's a combination of things - the chart is *huge* so I ended up with about a gazillion working copies, all overlapping randomly and many looking like unidentifiable bits of skirt, so I spend ages working out which bit I'm supposed to be working on and which bits I've already stitched, the fabric is also huge and even after folding it under my clamp it still gets in the way, and there are some huge blocks of single colours which are a bit tedious to stitch.... I'm reluctant to consign it to the eternal UFO pile, but I don't really want to stitch on it either. Hmm.

Then I put a few desultory stitches in Pompeii, and I'm going to try to persist with it for a while if I can work up any enthusiasm.

I did stitch this though, when I had time to stitch this weekend - it's the Sweetheart Tree design from the current Gift Of Stitching magazine. I Couldn't be bothered sending to the USA for the pailettes it calls for (life's too short to send off for pailettes!) so I just used some crystal bicones I happened to have lying around, and used some beads I had rather than the exact ones called for. I finished it into an ornie, as you can see. The photo doesn't capture how sparkly it is IRL...

We spent much of the weekend trying to get our slow combustion heater up and running. It's very old and has been quite neglected by whoever lived here before. All the firebricks were broken off and the fan made a lot of noise but didn't do anything, and the door needed attention. We had someone come to look at it a couple of months ago, but he just announced we needed a new one without even examining it. I think he was just trying to make us buy one from him! Anyway, Pete took it apart and found the problem with the fan was merely that one screw had come out, we replaced the firebricks, he resealed the door and reset the glass (which needed some bits welding to the inside of the door) and hey presto - we have a working stove! Not quite as good as new perhaps, but I love it! It can get quite chilly here at night in the winter, and last night we set the fire to 'low' and got up to a nice, warm house this morning. Bliss!

12 comments:

Carol said...

Oh how gorgeous!! You gave me a good laugh! I just finally got through to Sandie to order the paillettes and beads, and it came to a whopping $7.95 with shipping! I don't blame you for not bothering to do that! Great job!!!! I see you have a bday soon.... ;-)

Kathy said...

Some people sure like to rip us off don't they, so gald your DH was able to fix the problem without you having to fork out for a new one hun.

We all have our off days hun, if you would like someone to finish The Night off for you I would be willing too hun. I love stitching the PR Charts. I just weork from the main chart and highlight in yellow or pink so long as I can see the symbols to do it again.

Take care hun.

Hugs xxxxx

Michelle said...

Beautiful finish! I don't blame you for not ordering the pailetts. Congrats on a gorgeous piece. I can understand your frustration with The Night - sometimes I like to stitch without being brain challenged, you know?!

Sally said...

Love your Sweetheart Tree finish. It is beautiful.

I can understand how you feel about The Night.

Teejay said...

We have had a similar problem but with our Air conditioner (cooler). It is upwards of 106f here in Phoenix, Arizona, USA, where I live and can not carry on without the cooler being in good working order. Congrats on being able to fix your stove on your own! Technicians charge a fortune. You can visit me at http://www.tajinaz.blogspot.com

Teejay said...

Oh, I almost forgot, I really like your ornament. I am a loyal Sweetheart Tree fan and have done many of their designs myself. They are located here in Arizona.

Carla said...

Beautiful ornie! I stitched this design last week and like you changed the beads that were called for it...the beads and bicones you used are beautiful

Darla said...

Very pretty Sweetheart Tree! And I love how you've redecorated the place.

Stitcher said...

What a lovely ornie,I printed that pattern out as soon as I got the mag. I love it.

Von said...

A beautiful ornament, Gill!!

tintocktap said...

Your little ornie is just beautiful! I started that one myself last night, hope to have my own photos at the start of next week.

Nicola said...

Your sweetheart tree ornament looks so sweet!

Sorry to hear you've lost your stitching mojo - I'm sure you'll find it again soon.

xx