Thursday, August 30, 2007

On my last visit to Mum & Dad's, they showed me lots of old photos that used to belong to my Nan, who passed away last year, aged 94. The photos were really interesting, and a great many of them I've never seen before, so Mum allowed me to borrow some to copy. This faded old image is one of my favourites - it must have been taken around 1914/15, because the little girl at front left is my grandmother, and she was born the day the Titanic sank. The woman behind her is, of course, her mother - my Great Grandmother. I never knew her and this is the first picture of her I've ever seen. I've spent the morning uploading a fascinating chunk of family history to my laptop.

Remember this....? You might, if you've been visiting my blog for a while. Otherwise, there's a good chance you've never seen it before. This is currently my one and only HAED WIP - Book Of Ladies, which unfortunately had kind of drifted into UFOdom. I was getting a little burnt out on Egypt Garden so have taken it off the snaps for now (but not for long - I meant what I said about finishing it this year) and while rummaging through my WIPs I came across this and on impulse put it in the Qsnaps. I had done 3 pages already, so everything in the top left quadrant is what I've done in the last few days.

9 comments:

Teejay said...

This piece is simply gorgeous!! I have a HAED that is in ufo already and it's a quick stitch. Those HAEDs are really labor intensive.

Yany said...

I remember your WIP, is lovely, you're doing a beautiful work.
And your grandmother was so cute, like a little doll, thanks for sharing :)

Nicola said...

What a lovely family picture! I really love the old family photographs. My grandfather always used to say, "Two great things happened in 1912, the Titanic sank, and I was born!" Everytime someone mentions the Titanic, I always think of him!

Heather said...

Wow Gill, your needles are smoking! I had wondered what had happened to that project. My HAED is still lurking in UFO-dom, and likely to stay there a while longer. At least until I finish my current TW!

And isn't it neat when you get a little bit of family history like that? I just had a photo of my gramps from the early 50's printed two nights ago, and now it's sitting here at my desk to remind me of him.

Sally said...

I love old photos. Thanks for sharing this one. I have a few old ones myself but don't think there are any as old as this one.

Your HAED looks great Gill. Looking forward to seeing more of it.

Carla said...

I remember this piece!! Glad you picked it up again :)

Sharon said...

Love the photo! I think old photos like that are the best. That is such a gorgeous HAED.

Michelle said...

The HAED is gorgeous. Congrats on the new progress you've made.

Aussie Stitcher said...

WOW you made great progress.