Monday, October 08, 2007

I've just been in a freak accident...

Peter and I were going up the escalator at the shopping mall this afternoon when a large elderly woman in front of me collapsed on top of me. People further up came running down to try to lift her off but ended up falling on top of me as well, so I was pinned in place with the weight of 3 or 4 people on top of me. I was sliding down the steps but the escalator was still going up, so I was effectively stuck halfway up with the steps ripping at the backs of my legs. It seemed like an age till someone turned the escalator off although it probably wasn't as long as it seemed and it hurt so bad I was screaming. When I was finally freed someone took me round to the medical centre which luckily was only about 50 feet away, and a doctor cleaned me up and gave me a tetanus shot. The backs of my legs right up to my bottom are all torn up and raw. Fortunately it's fairly superficial but sore as hell - I think the shock was the worst bit, I'm still shaking. It shook me up pretty badly and you can see how these awful accidents happen - if the escalator had been really busy it could have been so much worse. Luckily Peter was ok, he just kept going to the top of the escalator. It's torn a big hole in the back of a new dress too.

21 comments:

Lara said...

Yikes! That is definitely a freak accident. I'm glad you weren't injured worse, and I'll send some healing vibes your way.

Andie said...

Oh Gill!! *hugs* I hope you recover really quickly! I will be thinking of you!! {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

Anonymous said...

wow, what a freak accident, I hope you reported it to the management. Maybe you could get compensation for your dress and any medical bill. Just a thought

Nicola said...

Oh Gill, I'm so sorry to hear about your accident, it would have shook anyone up.

Hope you have calmed down a bit now and you're not in pain.

Sending loads of gentle hugs your way. xx

Sharon said...

Oh my goodness Gill, how horrible and scary too. I am glad you are okay-that really is freakish.

chiloe said...

I'm glad you're okay. It can really happen to everybody ... Rest well.

Kerry said...

My goodness, that really is freaky. I'm so sorry you're injured, but glad it wasn't even more serious that it is. I hope everything starts healing quickly and the shock passes soon.

Melanie said...

How awful Gill. What an awful thing to go through, and so scary for Peter too! I'm so glad you don't have worse injuries. Do you know what happened with the woman who originally collapsed?

Sally said...

Sending lots of hugs to you Gill. What a terrible thing to happen. I hope you heal quickly and are not in too much pain.

Laural said...

How aweful! I hope you feel better soon

prechrzkid said...

Gill, lots of hugs to you today. Terrible accident. I hope you heal quickly.

Yany said...

Is terrible Gill!! I'm hope you feel better today!! Sending you hugs and kisses :)

Carla said...

Thank scary! Hope ypu recover from your injuries quickly (((hugs)))

Sam said...

What a scary accident, hope you heal quickly & the shock passes soon. We get a fair amount of elderly customers in the store having escalator accidents, but I've not come across anything to match that. So glad Peter was ok too {{{hugs}}} xx

sugardoll said...

((hugs)) Gill. Hope you get better soon. Also to the lady that collapsed, hope she isn't in a serious condition. take care

Wawanna said...

My, oh my, what an aweful thing to happen to you, it is a wonder you were not injured quite badly. I think I would do some real complaining to the management and demand any & all payments for your medical care. Should you not be on antibiltics? & pain medication? Can only imagine what was going through your mind!

TeresaB said...

What an awful freak thing to happen. I'm so glad you weren't hurt worse. Take it easy for a few days. Maybe you should just sit somewhere nice and quite and stitch? It's very soothing and after such a scare it would help calm nerves.

Chiasmata said...

Ouch, that's not a nice experience. And mothers wonder why I give them death glares when they stuff their super jeep prams on to esclators. Escalators are not as harmless as they look.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Aussie Stitcher said...

Hope your wounds heal quickly they sound nasty. You poor thing what a torrid accident to have to go through, take care {{{HUGS}}}

Karen said...

That is so scarey! I can only imagine how shakey you are now. I'm really glad to hear that you'll be ok though. The whole experience must have been horrible!

Mel in Dubai said...

Oh my goodness, Gill! How awful for you and Peter! Wishing you a speedy recovery ((hugs)).