Sunday, January 01, 2012

TUSAL

I've signed up for the 2012 Totally useless Stitchalong (TUSAL) over on Daffycat's blog, so I'll be collecting my Orts all year. But I'll let you in on a little secret...I haven't thrown my orts away for years. Here's a picture of the Ort mountain to prove it...


The Summer Snapperland cube is there to give some perspective of size. And a lot of these orts are compressed down - if I floofed them up it would look even worse.This somewhat inexplicable habit started some years back, when, out of curiosity, I decided to see how many orts I actually had after a year's worth of stitching. Then I kept going the year after. Once the pile reached a certain size it seemed somehow wrong to just turf it in the bin, and so it just kept growing. I think it's reaching critical mass now. I keep telling myself I should do something with them, but I'm slightly at a loss. Really, what can you do with an enormous pile of snipped off floss? They'd be hopeless as cushion stuffing because they squish down into a solid, lumpy mass. Ornament stuffing maybe, but then I really don't stitch that many ornaments and I'm not going to start simply to use up my ort mountain. Suggestions on a postcard, please! LOL

4 comments:

Daffycat said...

I'm like you, Gill...I can't get rid of my ORTs. I know some people put them out for birds or stuff things with them but then they'd be...gone. I can't give them up!

Mine sit in a lovely glass jar in my craft room. One day I will need to find a bigger jar.

Aussie stitcher said...

haha, I took my orts from the jar and put them in the bin on jan1, then today I was about to put the rubbish out, but I couldn't throw them out either!!!!!!

cheers
Julie

Aussie Stitcher said...

Such a pretty pile of orts Gill. I have seen some people purchase clear ornament and put them is those and then hang on your Christmas Tree. I was thinking of stuffing for ornaments also.

shazzump said...

I have mardis gras beads that I have that problem with (live in louisiana) and I ended up using them as decorative filling for some of my collectors glasses (cute glasses that I've picked up on various trips) you could try that, might be kinda neat